Heritage and identity: Glavašev's House - Jewel of Vranjeva history

Discover the rich heritage and cultural identity of Vranjevo through the story of the House of Glavas. This architecturally significant building is a symbol of the past and identity of this area. With its classic variant of the classicist style, rich decoration and deep roots in history, the house exudes character and tells the story of the times that shaped the community. Read more about its characteristics, architectural details and role in the cultural life of Vranjevo. The House of Glavas not only preserves heritage, but also inspires a vision of the future, encouraging awareness of the importance of preserving cultural identity for generations to come.

Exhibition Setup of the Memorial Museum

Exhibition Setup of the Memorial Museum

The concept of the permanent exhibition at the Memorial Museum - Glavaševa House in Vranjevo is designed to reflect the interior, along with the external appearance, of a wealthier citizen's house from the 19th century. Since the philanthropist Dr. Vladimir Glavaš was born and lived in the house until his death in 1909, care was taken to clean, conserve, restore, and exhibit all found objects, parts of old furniture, old photographs, and oil paintings as part of the museum's permanent exhibition.

Vladimir Glavaš's house consists of several rooms. The largest and most lavishly furnished room is the reception or guest salon. Thanks to the acquired Biedermeier-style salon furniture from the mid-19th century, a piano, wardrobe, and mirror, the salon has been reconstructed to evoke the ambiance of pleasant bourgeois homes where guest salons primarily served for relaxation and entertainment. Intimacy and warmth are emphasized by details such as three oil portraits adorning the salon walls. Two portraits, one of them being Vladimir's grandfather, Arsen Glavaš, were created in the mid-19th century, while the child portrait dates back to the late 18th century. After restoration at the Gallery of Matica Srpska in Novi Sad, all three portraits were returned to Vranjevo and exhibited again in this salon.

To the right of the salon, on the west side, one enters the bedroom where furniture from the Ivanović-Sokolac castle is exhibited. In the Bachelor's (Maiden's) room, which has a built-in stove and is connected to the bedroom, porcelain and furniture from the Far East are temporarily exhibited.

To the left, on the east side of the guest room, there is a room dedicated to the famous Serbian composer Josif Marinković.

Josif Marinković was born in Vranjevo on September 15, 1851. His parents, Jovan and Mileva, moved to Vranjevo from Kikinda in 1845. Josif completed three grades of elementary school in Vranjevo, after which he went to Petrovaradin, where he continued his education in German. Following lower gymnasium, he enrolled in the teaching school in Sombor, mainly because he learned that the school offered the best and most comprehensive music education, considering his strong musical talent. As a self-taught musician in childhood, he played multiple instruments, and it's known that as a fifteen-year-old boy, he led the local choir singing in the church.

In Sombor, young Marinković caught the attention of his music and singing professor, Dragutin Blažek, who helped him develop his talent and sense of composition. In the final year of the teaching school, he led a choir of his colleagues that, in 1873, performed his first compositions "Smeša srpskih pesama" and "Ustajte braćo."

This success enabled him to obtain permission from his father and enroll in the Organ School in Prague under František Zdenek Skuhersky, a renowned theorist at the time. After graduating in 1881, he returned to Belgrade, where he spent his entire life and created almost all of his works.

He directed the most famous Belgrade choirs, including the First Belgrade Singing Society and the Academic Singing Society Obilić, and later became a singing teacher at the Theological Seminary and the Teacher Training School.

Josif Marinković's musical works belong to the pinnacle of Serbian Romanticism in the 19th century. They reveal various facets of his personality, cheerful and sunny in solo songs, and patriotic and sometimes tragic in choirs. Among his first choral compositions were "Kola," eleven pieces written based on folk, mostly Vojvodina melodies. His patriotic choirs played a special social role, symbolizing the national ideology of young Serbian bourgeoisie (Narodni zbor, Hej, trubaču...).

His solo songs, composed on the verses of Serbian poets or adapted from folk melodies (Stojanke, Šano dušo, Šano, etc.), are also significant. Marinković's work in church music is noteworthy, with important pieces in this area being the Liturgy and the Requiem.

During his lifetime, Josif Marinković received many accolades, and in 1907, he was elected as a corresponding member of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts. He died in Belgrade on May 13, 1931.

Objects from the composer's legacy were provided by Dr. Ivan Valčić, Josif Marinković's grandson, to the school in Vranjevo named after the composer. This donation occurred in 1970-1971, thanks to the efforts of the school's director, Branislav Kiselički. The rich collection was initially housed in one of the primary school's rooms and became part of its permanent exhibition after the museum's establishment. The exhibition was further enriched with a 19th-century harmonium.

Following this memorial room, there is a space dedicated to the life and customs of old Vranjevo residents. Old photographs, religious items, and other objects collected over several decades by the Serbian Orthodox Church Community in Vranjevo are displayed to represent a part of the local history of this place.

The kitchen, which opens onto a secondary porch facing the courtyard, has retained an almost authentic appearance from the time of the house's construction. The open hearth was used for daily food preparation, and the massive chimney was used to dry and store meat throughout the year. A part of the open hearth was likely replaced by a brick stove with a large oven at the end of the 19th century. The prepared food was delivered to the house owners through a counter with metal doors, signaled by a special bell.

From the auxiliary porch, one enters a smaller room used as a pantry for groceries, located right next to the kitchen.

Auxiliary rooms in the Glavaševa House courtyard also form part of the museum's exhibition space. Old tools and machines that were in use among the local residents, as well as items and tools related to traditional barrel-making and barbering crafts, fully equip one of the auxiliary rooms.

The second room, next to the barbershop, is intended for occasional thematic exhibitions and the presentation of famous and notable figures from Vranjevo and Novi Bečej, events from the history of these places, as well as exhibitions related to the recent history of the Novi Bečej Municipality.

The Glavaševa House Memorial Museum is the first museum of its kind in the territory of the Novi Bečej Municipality. Its establishment aimed to rescue from oblivion and emphasize the importance of preserving the cultural identity of a smaller place and the entire municipality, which is among the richest in cultural and historical monuments in the Middle Banat region.

Related Articles

Dr. Stevan Vasić

Dr. Sava Janković

Dr. Bogdan Davidović (1858-1922)