The settlement of Novi Bečej originated on the southeast side of the old town on the Tisa River and has its roots dating back to ancient times, specifically the Roman era. The first written mention dates back to 1091 under the name Bechej (Bechey). The first written mention of Vranjevo (later named Franjova – Franyova) occurred in 1717, and the settlement was formed above the northeast side of the old town on the Tisa in 1726. It's important not to confuse Vranjevo with the medieval settlement Arača, located around the Arača church from the 13th century, even though the Hungarian population still refers to Vranjevo as Arač. Both Novi Bečej and Vranjevo, as separate political entities, had independent administrations, including postal services.

Despite being separate, these two settlements, Novi Bečej and Vranjevo, shared a common destiny during the 19th and the first half of the 20th century. For the last 150 years, the boundary between these two settlements was marked by a canal stretching from the Tisa River, across a swamp known as Venecija, towards the northeast. This canal still exists today, passing through the streets and yards of newly built houses.

It is well-known that the post office in Veliki Bečkerek was established in 1737, a hundred years earlier than the post offices in Serbia, which opened in 1840. The post office in Novi Bečej was founded in 1777. A map from 1778 marked places with postal services, including our location under the name Bechei (Bechei). In the Banat region, Veliki Bečkerek was the first to introduce the telegraph on April 26, 1858. The basic telegraph network was extended to include larger settlements in the area, including Novi Bečej.

The approval for the installation of a telephone line between Novi Bečej and the Borđoš farm, approximately 11 km long, was granted in 1889 by the Ministry of Commerce, which also had authority over the post office. The first intercity telephone connection between Novi Bečej and Bečkerek was established on October 18, 1897. Novi Bečej received a manual telephone exchange in 1902/1903. The automation of telephone traffic in the Novi Bečej area led to the installation of an automatic exchange on December 21, 1963, with 68 subscribers.

One of the first post office locations in Novi Bečej (mid-19th century) was in the house at Revolution Street number 11, the former house of Draginja Koledin Ekica. The post office building was constructed using durable materials, with a basement, and the wood used for carpentry was sourced from the forests of Erdelj in Transylvania, floated down the Tisa. In the large yard, there were sheds for postal carriages, a stable for horses, and accommodation for the stableman.

During the early 20th century and between the two world wars, the post office was located in the building of Ivan Glavaš, the present-day municipal building. Later, during the occupation (1941–1944), it occupied a place in the Lukseder house, at the corner of Marshal Tito and Narodni Front streets.

After World War II, the post office moved into the house of lawyer Dr. Ladislav Šafranj (built by lawyer Dr. Bogdan Davidović in the early 20th century) at Marshal Tito Street number 27, where it remains today.

Regarding the founding of the first post office in Franjova (current Vranjevo), records indicate that it was established in 1886. This is unequivocally confirmed by stamps on letters from the mid-19th century until the end of 1888. The Vranjevo post office, from its inception until its closure, only handled the sending and delivery of letters, packages, and printed matter. It did not have telegraph or telephone capabilities.

According to the accounts of elderly residents, the Vranjevo post office before World War I and in the 19th century was located in the current Josif Marinković Street, diagonally across from the Vranjevo Elementary School "Josif Marinković," at number 86. The house is now owned by the Tošo Dujin family.

Related Articles